Never mind the miserable tiny batch of 5 chicken wings I photographed above. It was the chilli sauce that I’m after.
I am imagining this sauce with fried battered shitake mushrooms or maybe baked potato wedges now….
+++ Notes.001 // the sauce recipe is meant for about 12-16 chicken wings. I made the full serving for the sauce, scoop enough to coat the drumettes, serve some as dip for the mid wings and saved the rest in the fridge for future use.
RECIPE: KOREAN FRIED CHICKEN
/ For the Chicken
2 lb chicken wings, about 12-16 qty, separate mid wings from the drumettes
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon baking soda
01. Place egg white, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl, whisk till baking soda and salt dissolves completely.
02. Add chicken wings into the bowl to coat wings with egg white mixture completely.
03. Pick up the wings from the bowl, drip off excess coating, arrange on a flat plate or baking tray, do not overlap.
04. Chill wings in fridge, uncovered, preferably overnight, to dry out the coating. Flip wings halfway through to dry both sides.
05. Preheat oven to 230C (450F).
06. Bake chicken wings for 15 minutes, flip and bake for another 10 minutes, till golden brown. Cool slightly on rack.
/ For the Chilli Sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 inch knob ginger, finely grated
1/4 cup gochujang (Korean chilli paste)
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon asian fish sauce
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
01. Mix all sauce ingredients together in a saucepan.
02. Cook over low heat for about 3-5 minutes, till sauce slightly thicken.
01. When the sauce starts to thicken, toss in baked chicken wings to coat.
02. Serve immediately.